Maitri is a geoscientist, writer and maker. Her interests include geophysics, science outreach, the retention and leadership of women in science professions and tinkering.
About this blog: What became VatulBlog in the late 1990s started as paper essays, BBS posts and emails. It continues as a record of Maitri’s life in science, the internet, disaster, diaspora, travel and craft. The site is named Vatul for her South Indian clan, which you can read more about here.
• Geoscience: With a background in geology, geophysics, scientific computing and project management, Maitri works in energy exploration, specifically seismic data interpretation, hydrocarbon reservoir characterization and managing interdisciplinary teams.
She has also led scientific software development, 3D visualization environments and knowledge-sharing and data-management projects. Her ideas for integrative innovation in the geosciences have been published in 52 Things You Should Know About Geophysics and the CSEG Recorder.
Maitri is a founding member and current Chair of the Society of Exploration Geophysicists Women’s Network, which promotes greater participation and leadership by women in geophysics worldwide. She is also an emeritus member of the University of Wisconsin Department of Geoscience alumni board.
• Project Gutenberg: Maitri is advisor to and board member of the oldest publisher of free electronic books. Most free books to most people!
• New Orleans Blogging: Between August 2005 and March 2009, VatulBlog actively chronicled the aftermath of Hurricane Katrina, the Federal Flood and the recovery of the city of New Orleans, and has been used as an example of disaster communication during a time of rapidly evolving media. A number of Maitri’s posts from the first post-Katrina year are featured in A Howling In The Wires: An Anthology of Writing from Post-Diluvian New Orleans and Please Forward: How Blogging Reconnected New Orleans After Katrina. From 2010 to 2013, Maitri published Back Of Town, a blog-community dedicated to the New Orleans-based HBO television series Treme.
• B2L2.com: She is an occasional contributor to an online “bark-eating” monthly, where she experiments with writing in vignettes.
• An incomplete list of writing and interviews.
Maitri earned a B.S. in geology from the University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign [thesis], and a Masters in structural geology [paper] and an interdisciplinary Masters in computational sciences and geophysics from the University of Wisconsin at Madison.
Born in Kuwait to Indian parents, she speaks and reads English, Tamil, Hindi, French, Spanish, Arabic and Sanskrit in that order of fluency. An impending move to the United States was hastened by the Iraqi invasion of Kuwait in 1990.
Maitri and her spouse (referred to here as D or Domingo) are fans and owners of the Green Bay Packers football team. Together, they have lived in Madison (Wisconsin), New Orleans and now Houston.
You can contact Maitri through email or Twitter and her resume is on LinkedIn and Vizualize. Any opinions expressed here and elsewhere online are Maitri’s and not those of her employer unless otherwise stated, obviously.